Pregnancy Pilates – 6 week course – £45 (could be done in a block of 4 or 8 weeks) with Kelly Woodyatt
What is Pregnancy Pilates?
Pregnancy Pilates is a low impact workout specifically tailored for pregnant women and is taught by a Pre & Postnatal Specialist. It focuses on exercise that is safe during pregnancy and the exercises are modified for each individual to suit them at whatever stage in pregnancy they are at.
It involves a series of controlled movements in various positions on an exercise mat. Small equipment can also be used (such as exercise balls, light resistance bands etc.) to assist with the exercises, however, this is optional.
All exercises are demonstrated and modified to suit each level. The instructor helps to ensure that the exercises are carried out safely and effectively.
Exercises are focused on the back, pelvic floor and abdominals.
What stage of pregnancy is Pregnancy Pilates suitable for?
Pregnancy Pilates is suitable throughout all of the trimesters. It’s even suitable for those who have never tried Pilates before or are new to exercise.
What are the benefits of Pilates when pregnant?
It targets specific muscles to help during pregnancy and the postnatal period:
- Strengthens the pelvic floor and abdominals which is ideal for pregnancy as both of these areas are under pressure due to the growing baby. Stronger pelvic floor and abdominals also help during labour.
- Exercises are in different positions, some of which are ideal labour positions. This helps to get the body comfortable and strong in these positions.
- Helps to alleviate pregnancy symptoms such as back ache (common in pregnancy due to change in posture), pelvic girdle pain etc. by stabilising the back and pelvis.
- Improves mobility without putting strain on the joints.
- Focuses on breathing techniques which can help aid relaxation and also assist during labour.
- Increases body awareness and balance.
- Gives tools to use at home to help with some of the everyday aches and pains.
- Aids relaxation and also sleep.
- Boosts energy levels, helping to enjoy pregnancy.
- Great for mental well-being and confidence in the changing body.